February 20th, 2013
Weekly Update from Rich Muny, VP of Player Relations
This week, the big news was in Washington state, where the House Government Accountability and Oversight Committee held a hearing on H.B. 1824, a bill to decriminalize playing online poker. This bill would take playing online poker from a felony to a civil infraction (a $50 ticket), with the stated intention of bill sponsor Rep. Paul Harris to later remove the penalty altogether.
Five dedicated poker enthusiasts took time out of their busy schedules to testify before the committee regarding the current draconian Washington state law and how it affects them. We at PPA wish to thank all of them for representing the poker community so ably at this hearing!
Considering that this was the initial hearing on this bill, it really could not have gone much better for us. Rep. Harris let everyone know that our testimony, phone calls, and letters to his colleagues in support of the bill are being heard and are paying off.
Committee Chairman Hurst asked Rep. Harris to look at updating the bill now to remove all penalties associated with playing online poker altogether. We are in contact with Rep. Harris’ office and will provide updates as they become available.
I encourage you to take a moment to watch this hearing.
Washington State Bill HB 1824 Hearing
PPA’s Facebook February is Going Strong!
It is Facebook February at the PPA and we need your help to reach our goal of 75,000 likes by the end of this month. We are continuing to grow our popularity on Social Media sites like Facebook and Twitter, and we now are fewer than 900 likes from our goal of crossing 75,000 likes. Please be sure to Like us on Facebook, and make sure to invite your friends and family to like us on Facebook too. It’s a simple and easy way to show support and stay up to date and involved with PPA!
- Webcast: “PPA Weekly Update” airs live each Sunday at 6:45 pm ET/3:45 pm PT on Fifth Street Radio. Listen live here.
- The Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny webcast on OnTilt Radio airs live each Monday at 8 pm ET/5 pm PT. You can follow the program on Facebook at facebook.com/PokerAdvocacy, and on Twitter at @PokerAdvocacy. The show site is ontiltradio.com/ppa. Listen live here.
- OnTilt Radio (2/18): “Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny.” I was joined by Marco Valerio for a great discussion on poker advocacy and his moderation of a poker players’ panel at the iGaming North America conference in Las Vegas, Nevada. (listen here or on iTunes here).
- Fifth Street Radio (2/17): I sat down with Mark Hoke for a great discussion. I come on at time point 0:47:40. Listen here.
- PokerFraudAlert (2/19): I debated Todd “Dan Druff” Witteles on all PPA is doing for the community. Listen here.
For the most up-to-date news, follow us at:
Thank you for your continued support!
Proud to play,
Join the PPA
Over the past few weeks, we have been communicating with you about our ambitious goals for poker rights going forward. Historic victories like the one in New Jersey cannot be duplicated elsewhere without your support. We can’t win the fight for our poker rights without the strong financial backing of the poker community. Whether you live in New Jersey or Washington, or any of the 48 other states of this great country, being a 2013 PPA member is the smartest bet for the future of our game. Join
today for only $15 to receive the great benefits of membership and to help us continue to fight for our rights as poker players.
|The Poker Players AllianceDedicated to Protecting America’s Favorite Card Game The Poker Players Alliance is a nonprofit membership organization comprised of poker players and enthusiasts from around the United States who have joined together to speak with one voice to promote the game and to protect poker players’ rights. Visit us at theppa.org
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.