Weekly Update from Rich Muny, VP of Player Relations
The news this week continues to center around whether New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will sign the online poker bill that is on his desk awaiting action. He has until tomorrow (2/7) to act and the clock is ticking!
This is important to all of us. As I mentioned last week, many of us live in states where passage of online poker legislation is going to be tricky. We need dominoes to fall to help the process in our states, just as we saw with state lotteries. As we all know, states that would never have been first in line have lotteries today. So, let’s all stand with our brothers and sisters in New Jersey this week!
In other important news, PPA is happy to report that the Justice Department, as part of its continuing dialogue with PPA regarding remission for the victims of Full Tilt Poker, has officially confirmed that it is close to naming a claims administrator for the FTP remission process. We expect the formal announcement from the DOJ by February 14th or so.
It should be noted that the naming of a claims administrator does not mean we players will be seeing our money right away. There is still a lot of work to do before we can reasonably expect payments, but the naming of an administrator is an important milestone. It will also lead to additional important information becoming available to us as the administrator begins actual work.
Our dialogue regarding repayments to players continues, assuring players’ voices and concerns are being represented in the process.
- Let’s send NJ Gov. Chris Christie today’s prefilled, editable tweet in support of that state’s poker bill: HERE
- Let’s send key NJ state senators prefilled tweets as well: HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.
- If you live in New Jersey and have not called Gov. Christie this week, please call him now at 609-292-6000 and ask him to sign A2578. If you call after business hours, you can still leave a message, so please be sure to do this. Thanks!
Maryland Lawmaker Introduces Home Poker Bill
Maryland State Delegate Kirill Reznik introduced legislation that would allow Marylanders to play and host home poker games this week! House Bill 486 was referred to the Ways and Means Committee, where a hearing is scheduled for March 5th. PPA has been working closely with Delegate Reznik and is preparing to testify before the committee.
Facebook February at PPA
Are you getting all the important updates, content, action plans and fun contest information from PPA? Do you like us on Facebook? 73,331 people and counting like the PPA on Facebook. Make sure you and your friends and family are on board. Help us get to 75,000 likes by the end of this short month! Like us on Facebook, and make sure to invite your friends and family to like us on Facebook too. It’s a simple and easy way to show support and stay involved with PPA!
Win a Heartland Poker Tour Main Event Seat!
Thanks to our friends at HogWild Poker, 2013 paid PPA members can play their way to a FREE $1650 Heartland Poker Tour Main Event Seat! The PPA HPT Main Event series, hosted by our friends at HogWild Poker, starts this Friday. Don’ miss this awesome opportunity to play on network television for big money! For more information on the series, and why 2013 paid PPA members have a great shot at winning this seat, check it out here: http://members.theppa.org/heartland/.
- Radio Interview (2/6): PPA Executive Director John Pappas will appear on “The King Arthur Show” on WIBG 1020 (Atlantic City, NJ) today from 3:05 pm ET to 4 pm ET to discuss the NJ poker bill. Feel free to call in at (609) 398-1020 with questions and comments, and be sure to listen live here.
- Webcast: “PPA Weekly Update” airs live each Sunday at 6:45 pm ET/3:45 pm PT on Fifth Street Radio. Listen live here.
- The Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny webcast on OnTilt Radio airs live each Monday at 8 pm ET/5 pm PT. Listen live here. You can follow the program on Facebook at facebook.com/PokerAdvocacy, and on Twitter at @PokerAdvocacy. The show site is ontiltradio.com/ppa.
- OnTilt Radio (2/5): “Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny.” I was joined by Jeff Griffith and Eric Morris for discussion on their now radio show “Right Side of the Felt” (listen here or on iTunes here).
- 1400 AM WOND New Jersey (12/30): John Pappas appeared on the Don Williams Show to discuss the New Jersey Internet poker bill. Listen here (Part 1) and here (Part 2).
For the most up-to-date news, follow us at:
Thank you for your continued support!
Proud to play,