January 30th, 2013
Weekly Update from Rich Muny, VP of Player Relations
The news this week continues to center around the online poker legislation in New Jersey. As you may recall from last week’s update, a bill authorizing in-state Internet poker and casino gaming passed the New Jersey legislature and awaits action by Gov. Chris Christie. As this process goes down the wire, PPA and the New Jersey poker community have been working tirelessly to ensure the governor hears from us, while poker players and enthusiasts across the country have worked to support those efforts on social media and other outlets.
Yesterday, PPA Executive Director John Pappas, New Jersey State Director Tony Salerno, and two PPA members from New Jersey went to Trenton to meet with a senior member of Gov. Christie’s administration to represent the poker community on this important legislation and to encourage the governor to sign the bill!
Frank Sarah, Lisa Pickell, Tony Salerno, and John Pappas in Trenton, NJ
I am pleased to share with you the news that the meeting went very well. We were given the opportunity to state the case of the New Jersey poker community and to address the governor’s concerns. It is still very much up in the air if Gov. Christie will sign this bill or not, of course, but PPA and the poker community have certainly been doing their part to advocate for our rights! For more on the meeting, I encourage you to read John Brennan’s great coverage of this event HERE.
For those of us not residing in New Jersey, I wish to reiterate my belief that our best shot is to back the efforts in states like New Jersey and California while simultaneously telling our governors, state senators, and state reps to support poker in all its forms. Once a few of these states move forward and join Nevada and Delaware in passing Internet poker legislation, many more states will start falling like dominoes — as we saw with state lotteries and bricks-and-mortar casino gaming.
- Webcast: “PPA Weekly Update” airs live each Sunday at 6:45 pm ET/3:45 pm PT on Fifth Street Radio. Listen live here.
- The Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny webcast on OnTilt Radio airs live each Monday at 8 pm ET/5 pm PT. Listen live here. You can follow the program on Facebook at facebook.com/PokerAdvocacy, and on Twitter at @PokerAdvocacy. The show site is ontiltradio.com/ppa. The program has been nominated for a number of OnTilt Radio awards. You can vote for your favorites at ontiltradio.com/thetiltys
- OnTilt Radio (1/28): “Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny.” I was joined by House of Cards host and author Ashley Adams for a terrific discussion on the state of poker advocacy, efforts in Massachusetts, and Ashley’s books and columns (listen here or on iTunes here).
- PokerNewsBoy (1/28): “The PPA Check-In with Rich Muny: Advocacy Groups” I sat down with PNB’s Steve Ruddock for our weekly interview on the poker advocacy effort. Read here.
- Fifth Street Radio (1/27): I sat down with Mark Hoke for a great discussion (I come on at time point 0:59:32 of Part 1…listen here).
For the most up-to-date news, follow us at:
Thank you for your continued support!
Proud to play,
|The Poker Players AllianceDedicated to Protecting America’s Favorite Card Game The Poker Players Alliance is a nonprofit membership organization comprised of poker players and enthusiasts from around the United States who have joined together to speak with one voice to promote the game and to protect poker players’ rights. Visit us at theppa.org
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.