July 17th, 2012
Weekly Update from Rich Muny, VP of Player Relations
I have great news! On Thursday, July 26th at 2:15 pm, the Senate Indian Affairs Committee will hold an oversight hearing to “examine the regulation of tribal gaming, focusing on brick and mortar to the Internet.” You can read the full Committee announcement here.
It is great that our issue remains in the public eye and that we continue gaining traction in Congress. Additionally, this is a great opportunity for us as individual advocates, as it provides a great platform to be heard. After all, they will be paying even more attention to poker communications now, so let’s all ensure we are reaching out and being heard!
I understand not everyone will choose to sign up for Facebook, Twitter, or Change.org to participate in these kinds of actions. As an alternate, I encourage reaching out to the Senate via a phone call. Simply visit theppa.org/takeaction and scroll down to item #2 for talking points and a lookup tool for your two Senators’ Washington D.C. office phone numbers. Ask them specifically to support next week’s Indian Affairs Committee hearing. Thanks!
- Let’s send prefilled, fully editable tweets to the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, Senator Akaka, and Senator John Barrasso: HERE, HERE and HERE.
- Let’s retweet today’s #Fight4Poker action plan HERE, share it on our Facebook walls HERE, share it via Google+ HERE, and share it via LinkedIn HERE. As the plan is self-contained on these social networking sites (i.e., the links to the prefilled tweets are contained in the tweets/posts themselves), promotion of it can get us lots of new participants!
- Let’s post pro-poker comments to the Senate Indian Affairs Committee Facebook wall HERE.
Last Week to Take the New Poker Survey and Win a Kindle Fire!
Last week, I told you about the latest poker survey. We have already had thousands of players and enthusiasts participate, which is great, but we need EVERYONE to respond to the survey by July 23rd at 5pm ET. If you have not yet done so, please click here to complete the survey (for the mobile version, click here). It takes just five minutes and you could win a brand new Kindle Fire!
The survey is completely anonymous. The information we gain will be quite helpful in our efforts to secure a safe and regulated online poker marketplace across the nation, as it will help us show lawmakers that we poker players are representative of our great nation, so please support the effort by taking this simple survey today. Thanks!
PPA California State Director Discusses CA Online Poker Legislation
California State Director Steve Miller was recently interviewed by Reason.TV on the issue of online poker. During the interview, entitled “THE POLITICS OF POKER: WHY IT’S TIME TO LEGALIZE ONLINE GAMING” (click here to watch the video), Miller discusses why online poker is such a political hot potato.
Specifically, Miller discusses the online poker bill, SB, 1463, which was introduced by California State Senator Roderick Wright to license intrastate online poker in California and to help raise revenue to help fill the multi-billion dollar deficits the state is currently facing. You will also hear from a leading organization that represents some state Indian tribes discuss why they are opposed to Senator Wright’s bill that attempts to create a competitive market for online poker in California.
When you have a few minutes, I recommend viewing this for a better understanding of the political wrangling that has surrounded efforts to license intrastate online poker in California and why it’s so important for PPA members to take action in defense of our rights.
- The Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny webcast airs live each Monday, at 8 pm ET, on OnTilt Radio (listen live here). Follow the program on Facebook at facebook.com/PokerAdvocacy, and on Twitter at @PokerAdvocacy. The show site is ontiltradio.com/ppa. My guest next week is Jan Fisher.
- Webcast: “PPA Weekly Update” airs live each Tuesday at 9:45 pm ET on Fifth Street Radio (listen live here).
- OnTilt Radio: “Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny.” I was joined by PPA Nevada State Director Lupe Soto. (7/16) (listen here or on iTunes here).
- Fifth Street Radio: “PPA Weekly Update.” I discuss the fight with host Mark Hoke (7/10) (listen here)
- Fifth Street Radio: 2004 WSOP Champion & PPA Board Member Greg Raymer and I each discuss the WSOP and the advocacy effort (7/8) (listen here)
Thank you for your continued support!
The PPA wishes to keep active members like yourself updated on the latest poker advocacy news by periodically sending out select events and headlines. We hope you find it informative and thank you for your continuing support.
|The Poker Players AllianceDedicated to Protecting America’s Favorite Card Game The Poker Players Alliance is a nonprofit membership organization comprised of poker players and enthusiasts from around the United States who have joined together to speak with one voice to promote the game and to protect poker players’ rights. Visit us at theppa.org
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.