Weekly Update from Rich Muny, VP of Player Relations
I have terrific breaking news to report. The National Fraternal Order of Police sent Senator Harry Reid, Senator Mitch McConnell, Speaker John Boehner, and Rep. Nancy Pelosi a letter in support of “a strong regulatory framework for legal gaming”! As FOP supported the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006, this is significant for us. Please click here
to read this important letter.
In other very good news, rumors regarding completion of the sale of Full Tilt Poker to Groupe Bernard Tapie are growing (click here
for one such story). While I have no information that I can confirm at this point, I am very encouraged by this development in terms of it ultimately leading to full repayment of players in the U.S. and abroad. Needless to say, PPA will continue its ongoing discussions with the Justice Department regarding the status of players as victims deserving full restitution.
I also wish to share with you all an interesting article (click here
to read) on the PPA by Wendeen Eolis for Poker Player Newspaper.
Last week, I asked you to participate in an action plan to ensure that lawmakers are hearing from all of us. I am pleased to report that we had great participation in this important advocacy effort. I thank everyone who took the time to take part!
This week, will you again take a few moments to use social media activism – this time to reinforce the results of the pro-poker online petition? Over 8700 of us told Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl, Speaker of the House John Boehner, and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor to take action on legislation to license online poker. As we approach the one year anniversary of Black Friday, let’s all take action to make ourselves heard on this matter of our personal liberty.
- If you have not yet signed the petition, please CLICK HERE to do so, and please have your friends and family sign on as well.
- Let’s send Sen. Reid, Sen. McConnell, Sen. Kyl, Rep. Boehner, and Rep. Cantor prefilled, editable tweets: HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.
- Next, let’s post and like pro-poker comments on their Facebook walls HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE. Let’s also post HERE (KY residents only). Simply tell them that online poker enthusiasts won’t go away or give up and that over 8700 people have signed the poker petition at http://theppa.org/changepetition. Let’s also ask them to support legislation like HR 2366, the Online Poker Act.
- For those who do not use Facebook or Twitter, please instead call your elected representatives and tell them that you support poker in all its forms (online, B&M, home games, etc.) and that they should to. Simply go to theppa.org/takeaction, scroll down to item #2, and use the information and tools there to make the calls!
PPA comes before poker media to take on the tough questions. This past week’s interviews focused on action on Capitol Hill, the pending sale of Full Tilt Poker, and on continuing actions to advocate for the game. Upcoming Appearances
- Webcast: “Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny” airs live each Monday at 8:30 PM ET on OnTilt Radio (listen live here).
- Webcast: “Short Stacked Radio’s PPA Weekly Update” airs live each Tuesday at 9:30 ET (listen live here)
- OnTilt Radio: Poker Advocacy with Rich Muny, with guests PPA Georgia State Director Kelli Mix (3/26/2012) (listen here)
- Pokerfuse: The Poker Players Alliance: Poker’s Voice on Capitol Hill (3/23/2012) (read here)
- Short Stacked Radio: PPA Weekly Update. I come on at time point 1:24:30 of Part 1, followed by PPA Board Member & 2004 WSOP champion Greg Raymer at time point 1:58:10 (3/20/12) (listen here)
Thank you for your continued support!
Membership Benefit Announcement
If you didn’t already know, PPA supporter HogWild Poker Leagues is giving 40,000 “HogBucks” to all dues paying 2012 PPA members – a $20 value on top of all the other great benefits of PPA membership.
And for PPA members, this deal just got even better
! In addition to the top 15 players every month winning a $500 buy in to a live poker tournament of their choice, the PPA member closest to 15th place every month will also receive a $500 buy in package as well. That’s right, claim your free Hog Bucks and compete against other PPA members for an exclusive $500 prize each month
of the staking series!
For details, please visit: http://go.theppa.org/hwp
The PPA wishes to keep active members like yourself updated on the latest poker advocacy news by periodically sending out select events and headlines. We hope you find it informative and thank you for your continuing support.